Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Animation experimental vs. cel

I love animation.  I love the old hand draw Disney movies and am a big fan of most of the newer stuff.  I also really enjoy experimental animation.  I felt that this article did a good job distinguishing between the two; however, i feel that it was a little biased.  To me it seemed that this article was saying that experimental animation was better and I don’t necessary agree with that.  I think that both forms of animation have their merit and a lot of hard work goes into the animation.  I think that for narrative cel animation is better while more emotional driven story experimental animation is more effective.  That being said I can easily see the drawbacks of cel animation.  One show that comes to my mind is the old Scooby Doo.  I remember laughing about the fact that they always ran past the same background and it never changed until the end of the chase.  I don't know whether to classify that as laziness as the article suggests or whether this was simply just the standard style, perhaps it was a combination of both.  Animation has also been evolving over the last years.  Thanks to the introduction of Pixar, animation has taking a different route.  Pixar’s style of animation allowed for greater camera movement with the animation.  Backgrounds and characters are allowed to have much more detail than in previous cel animation.  I feel that the emotional level of this type of animation is able to be on par with that of real film and we can see that in films like Toy Story and How to Train Your Dragon.  Experimental animation crossing over into narrative animation is also a very creative and interesting.  A fantastic example of this was Fantasia, which was a great film.  

No comments:

Post a Comment